Screen or bulletin board?

Well today is Thursday and it is time to see if the tasks on the 5 tasks a week challenge over at The Shabby Cottage were met. 
1. Got the shelves hung in the craft room - yeah
2. Got the craft room organized - yeah
3. Lights are hung in the kitchen - yeah
4. Kitchen hardware has been installed - yeah
but 5. Didn't get the butlers pantry cleared out. 
Oh well 4 out of 5 is good. I'll get them all next week I am sure of it. 
Okay so I was driving my sick kid home from getting McDonald's for lunch. McFlurries help the sore throat he said and who am I to deny the little man something that will make him feel better. While driving I see a pile of discarded home products - okay a trash pile on the road. I see old screens in that pile so I do a quick stop and jump out to investigate.
I found two really large screens and then this smaller one that is about 2.5 feet by 5 feet. I throw them all in the back of the car hoping no one sees me but alas not so. My neighbor is out walking his dog and waves to me. Busted. Trash picking and busted.
Oh well I get home and take them out and realize this smaller one would make an awesome bulletin board to hang on my butlers pantry door to hold phone numbers and school notes.
It got a nice hosing off then was left to dry. 
 

I cut some foam core to proper size for the two openings.

Then I got my handy dandy spray adhesive. Should have done that part outside but now I did a thorough cleaning of any and all hair in the room. It is all stuck on the bottom of my shoes. Gross. I like to use foam core instead of rolled cork as it is thicker and the tacks work better in it. 

I place a layer or warm and natural batting on first. To give it some more bulk. 

Then comes my fave fabric right now- burlap. Yes that is a whole bolt. Our Walmart got rid of its fabric with their remodel so fabric went to 50% off so heck I bought the whole bolt. You can't have enough burlap I say.

Sprayed some more sticky adhesive then put my burlap layer over the batting layer.

I then turned it over and sprayed adhesive on the edges to help with the folding down. I didn't trust the adhesive to hold completely so I turned to my other friend in the "sticky" family- yes duct tape. 

Here are the two sections put into the back of the screen. I then tapped in a couple of brad nails around the edges and bent them over to hold the boards in.

And voila, here she is all done. I decided against painting her as I love old, peeling, original paint. And the original is robins' egg blue so can't go wrong there can you? 

I decided she needed a bit of jewelry when I hung her up so I whipped out a little banner with the word DREAM on it. 

Now all she needs are some cool vintage tacks to use on her. I guess I'll work on those tomorrow.
I am linking this to:
Transformation Thursdays over at The Shabby Chic Cottage
Creative Cats Friday over at Poppies at Play
Furniture Feature Friday over at Miss Mustard Seed
Saturday Nite Special over at Funky Junk Interiors
Join in the fun at any or all of these parties.
thanks, tammy

18 comments:

  1. bravo! I love it....you have such vision...

    Miss you!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I don't dare go to the dump with my husband 'cause I start grabbing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your home is BEAUTIFUL and you're my kind of girl, pulling over to pick up trash on the side of the road! Great job on the makeover, and thanks for the comment on my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great. I can't wait to see the tacks you make. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. True trash to treasure! I always love to see these kinds of transformations. Great job!

    pk @ Room Remix

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beauty! You can't go wrong with burlap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha ha...That's funny that you got caught! It's totally worth it though for such a find. That will be a really nice place to put that. I love the sign too. Nice touch!
    ~Andy @ Poppies@ Play

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that is awesome. I'm looking for some vintage tacks for a bulletin board I made too. NOt having any luck though...what's your plan?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooooooo, luv it ! You have such cute things....I got to take a peek....
    Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Duct tape! I love it. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do and it looks so great. I love the little banner on top as well. Such a nice job. Thanks for linking to FFF and I've become a follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great! I love any old door and really love what you did with this!!

    ~Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gotta LOVE Burlap..it's the new black!!!! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks great! I love your banner!
    Smiles!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  14. A screen. I would have never thought of a screen frame. That is cool! And I love that you left the colour. It's so unusual and that makes it perfect!

    A whole bolt of burlap I'd have to take out a small mortgage on out my way. I'm drooling!!

    Thanks for linking up your project!

    FJ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have antique screens and widows that I've put to use as framing art.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute! Loving the duct tape and the dumpster diving with a sick kid in the car! Junker after my own heart!!!!!

    ReplyDelete