Related Houses?

Okay I live in a Four Square with Bungalow influences built in 1929 in a Historic District in North Carolina. So, imagine my surprise when I got a comment from Tanna of The Brick Street Bungalow saying how similar our porch columns were. I had to go take a look. And to my further surprise we had a quite a few things very similar. She lives in a historic district in Tyler, Texas in a bungalow. 
Now see her porch columns: 
Now look at mine (please disregard the Halloween decor). I love her new stained floors though. Much nicer than my painted ones that need redone. 



Next check out her built-ins with columns in her house:

They are identical to mine.. Wierd huh?


And lastly our fireplaces share similar looks in the materials used also. Check out hers:


Now see mine. They both have grey colored bricks and then have a sort of cement looking corbels. Hers makes me wonder if our mantle was not cement in structure too and then changed sometime along the way.


I am thinking that we need to take lots of pictures of our house and make a comparison chart.
Thanks Tanna for pointing out this to me- it was very interesting to go back and read all of your blog and to see all the aspects of your home. I love your town also but then I do love Texas as having lived there previously.

9 comments:

  1. They are amazingly similar. Wonder if they had the same architect or if the style was just so common? They could be in the same neighborhood. I have serious house envy when I look at your deep porch and leaded glass cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a fun surprise this morning when I was looking through the new posts on blogs I follow and I saw Tallulah's (yes, we named the house) porch on your blog! So stinkin' fun! Yes, we will have to look more into these wonderful similarities. =) Happy Halloween Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, have house envy! I also wonder about the house kits people used to order from Sears and Roebuck... wonder if they could be from there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is fun to see similarities, huh? I get that all the time with our woodwork. It is a very common configuration for the time.

    Just like we have building trends now, there were trends then. And the builders used the same catalogs for ordering hardware. They got their trim from the same mills, etc.

    It is sort of like logging into Apartment Therapy and seeing the "Keep Calm & Carry On" or "For Like Ever" posters. Only our way is way cooler because it is historical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool. These homes were stylin' way back then, and they still are!

    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tammy,

    Thanks so much for being on of my Fans....of course you will be in it to win it! hope you do......Good luck Sweet Girl, I love your posts as well!

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your visit.
    I went to your other blog first and stayed a while. I love all the things that you had at the fall show.
    I am following ya now...so that I can come back.

    Oh yeah, I am jealous of both of your porches!!!
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, My dream is to live in a bungalow style house... (or the 4 square)... our house is new and as nice as the new is it does not have the charm or the beauty of those bunglows!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thus the determination of longevity depends on careful consideration of several related houses.

    ReplyDelete