Whats a mom to do?

Well what is a mom to do on a friday when it is the beginning day of tax free weekend? Well she gathers up her freshman in college son, her freshman in highschool son, and her pre-k daugther and hits the mall to buy all that they need for the upcoming school year.
Does it matter that she will put a fortune on her credit card? No, of course not because they need it. The college boy sent us over the edge alone. But jeez, why do they need so much and why does it cost so much? Jean, shoes, shirts, printer, bins, sheets, laundry hamper, dishes, trashcan....and the list doesn't stop.
If I don't buy it does it mean he can't go and has to stay here with me? No probably not- so I will send him with what he needs so he can be happy and productive.
It is a right of passage I know but deep inside it is killing me to see him leave. I will miss him terribly. So, I buy what he needs, doing whatever I can to make it easier on him so maybe it will in someway make it a teensy bit easier on me. Do I seriously think this logic will work? No, but it is nice to try to fool myself.

Oh I did manage to hit joanns to try to get me something to boost my spirit..not easy - just wasn't in the mood- know what i mean?

3 comments:

  1. The going-away-to-college- gathering-of-stuff-ritual; I've been through it with three kids and always felt like it was an elaborate charade, distracting me away from what was really important, trying to make me focus on extra-long-sheets and what kind of alarm clock do you need? when in reality all I really wanted was to physically draw my kids back close to me and spend a last few minutes connecting with them, but instead we had to obsess on the colection of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily my 2 are grown up now, but I remember it so well the cost and like you say so much to buy. Just remember it only happens once. best wishes Julie.C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I dread that day too.
    Sorry-I've been out of commission -- terribly sick for over a week-- but do you want to know how I cut my grocery bill in half? go to Cut your grocery bills now plus I have a give a way and a new Mr Linky party starting tomorrow but Mr Linky will be up by 8 p.m. tonight

    Cheri
    Its So Very Cheri

    ReplyDelete