Kitchen redo

Kitchen Redo:


 Okay I have decided to make June the kitchen redo month. I have this big cabinet filled old kitchen that needs a major uplift so as not to make me ill everytime I walk in there.
Background info: I have 4 kids with hubby that makes 5 who are major SLOBS. Bless their hearts they just can't seem to go anywhere without wrecking havoc on a room. The cabinets used to be a poorly painted white when we moved in and while hubby was in Iraq I just got a hair and painted them green. Why? I can't tell you. All I can say is I HATE it.
 
The countertops if you can believe it are
old flooring with tons of poly on them. Gross huh?
So, you can see that there are cabinets that wrap 3 walls. An island in the middle and one whole wall with all the appliances on them. No triangle- what is up with that?


I have ordered a stainless side by side fridge and a stainless dishwasher. I am going to get a stainless undermount sink. I am also getting a dual fuel range in stainless just deciding on 30 inch or 36.
I want to add molding to the top like Layla from Lettered Cottage did. Very good post by her husband on how to do it by the way.
And I know I want silestone quartz countertops as I am not up to the upkeep of marble or granite. The colors where that is where I need input.
If you have seen my previous post of my back porch then you know I LOVE shabby, chippy, distressed look. White, grey , taupe, black - whatever. Just old looking. Now this room does not get alot of light as it only has one window and
that one looks out onto the back porch so not much direct sunlight. We are going to put some can lights in the ceiling which will be beadboard. And my two old schoolhouse lights will go over the island hanging down as pendants. The island is going to be rebuilt by the hubby and will be a bit longer and not as a big of an overhang.
So, back to the questions -
What color cabinets? hmmm
I love black but it would be too dark in this room and my two neighbors have done black so want a bit of a change. I like browns and creams and greys.
I was thinking maybe all distressed cream..or maybe grey lowers and cream uppers or maybe brown lowers and cream uppers.
Help !!! please leave comments and believe me I will be reading them.

6 comments:

  1. Ohh I don't know! I like gray...and cream! Ahhh. I think your kitchen is going to look so nice! We have all stainless too! Maybe cream...yah. LOL

    All the best,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cream cabinets. They are always so chic. YOu have nice dark floors. I painted my kitchen walls brown and I love them. It just makes my kitchen pop. Maybe you can just add brown accents for a really fresh pop since you don't get too much light. Your new redo just sounds gorgeous. I can't wait to see the finished look. If you would, check out my blog I am taking a poll on who would like to join a Cloche Party. Let me know. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. You stopped by my blog www.itssoverycheri.blogspot.com for my FREE give away and I came over to see yours. I LOVE DECORATING!!! I think we could be buddies.
    What color are you doing your silestone?

    Have you considered doing a dark chocolate brown underneath and then a cream over the top-but use some of the crackle paint stuff to make the brown pop out in some areas and not others but then use a stain over some of the cream--giving it 3 dimensional color----Then you could shabby up some of the edges and corners, hit them with some hammer and nails to get that beat up look-They would look so THRIFTY and cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my blog. I came over to check yours out. I am so jealous that you get to re-do the whole kitchen. I like cabinets that are different colors on top and bottom. We made some cottage style cabinets in our guest house that were somewhat inspired by Layla too. They are black on top and white beadboard on bottom. My husband made them all! Check out my guest house cabinets on my blog, if you get a chance. They turned out great. But you said you didn't want black on top. My cousin just did her cabinets white with a brown glaze, and they look awesome! I may do something like that in my kitchen someday. Of course, you can leave the upper shelves open or with glass doors. I just read in Better Homes and Garden today that glass doors on cabinets open up and brighten up a space. They would reflect the light of any windows nearby. I'll keep stopping by to see what you decide.
    Blessings!
    Traci
    p.s. Ooooh....and if I had an island in the middle, I would do a shot of color like red or something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!

    I did white uppers, gray lowers, and a clay-white wall. The floor is a black with a touch of brown to it. I think the little undertones of brown to the black keep things from being too ominous...

    Anyway... I have pictures of the kitchen project at my blog, with a lot of how-tos.

    If you want to see white/gray/black - try there. :)

    http://cottageofstone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Just found your blog - and have to say your home is really nice. I actually am a fan of the green. I know - don't hit me! LOL! I think that it gives them character and charm, but I also know that sometimes what comes through in pictures isn't exactly what it's like to live in a room everyday - so I say go for it! Change it up! It's just paint - if you wanna try a color on top, and a different color down below - it can't hurt, right? I recently saw a kitchen that I thought was really great. The bottom cabinets were a dove gray, the uppers a really soft and subtle shade of cream, almost white, actually. The upper cabinets were mostly opened without doors - and the whole thing had a white subway tile backsplash. How divine, right? Maybe I can find the link and send it to you - I think you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete